| Home | Archived Issues | Contact Us | Subscribe | Donegal Town |

July 27th 2005

| Front Page | Other Stories | Sport |

Jason and Henry Duignan, winners of the Donegal Town Snooker Club doubles competition, receive their prizes from sponsor Caroline Martin, Donegal Plumbing and Heating.

Nauls lose out at final stage

Played in perfect conditions in the newly opened Convoy Field on Saturday last, St Nauls suffered defeat against a very physical MacCumhaills team who had remained unbeaten all year. The difference between the two teams was the early goals that MacCumhaills scored midway through the first half.
MacCumhaills opened the scoring in the 2nd minute of the game when Rory Dunleavy converted a free. Nauls replied immediately when half back Jamie White capped a fine move to register Nauls first point in the 3rd minute. Next on the score sheet for St Nauls was their top scorer on the day, Brian McGroary, who converted a 45. Nauls scored the first goal of the match when a long ball from Jamie White found Brian McGroary who passed to one-handed man Barry Griffin who slotted the ball low and hard to the back of the MacCumhaills net. Next on the score sheet was Lee McBrearty who kicked a 40 metre free. MacCumhaills replied when a free from Dunleavy was misjudged by Jamie McGroary in the Nauls goals to hit the back of the net. Nauls replied again with two more points from McGroary. However, disaster struck for the Nauls when MacCumhaills struck two goals in quick succession, one from lively half-forward Marty O’Reilly and the other from big midfielder Gavan Gallagher. Nauls replied with their last score of the half when Jamie While scored his second point of the match on the 25th minute. MacCumhaills came back again again with points from Gallagher and Ryan Duffy to leave the half time score 3-3 to 1-6 in favour of the Twin Towns club.
In the second half, MacCumhaills hit goal number four when Dunleavy and O’Reilly combined to set up corner forward Emmet McDermott in the first minute of the new half. Nauls responded again with a free from McGroary, only to be cancelled out by points from Conor O’Brien and O’Reilly. McGroary replied again with another brace of points only for the ever-impressive O’Reilly to reply with a brace of points also. Nauls looked like the comeback was on when McGroary hit a free, which dipped into the top corner of the MacCumhaills net to leave the score 2-9 to 4-7 with 17 minutes gone on the clock. MacCumhaills replied with Gallagher hitting a point to give him a final tally of 1-1 for the match. McGroary replied for the Nauls with another well taken score. MacCumhaills answered with points from Emmet McDermott, Ryan McDermott (0-2) and Ryan Duffy (0-1) to finish MacCumhaills scoring for the match. Nauls replied with another McGroary point and a late James Flynn goal to leave the final score 4-12 to 3-11 in favour of the Finnsiders after a very competitive match.
Best for MacCumhaills were Ryan Duffy, Rory Dunleavy, Marty O’Reilly, Gavin Gallagher and Ryan Kelly.
Top scorer Brian McGroary along with Martin Gillespie, John Rose, Jamie White and Barry Griffin were best for a Nauls team who only half performed to their capabilities.
Sean Paul McHugh

Donegal Town Pepsi FAI Summer Soccer Schools - two young participants from Mountcharles were Sarah Furey and Niamh McGroarty. Photo: Conor Sinclair

Inter Firms Final

National Bar - winners of men's competition Photo: Jason McGarrigle

The cup finals of the ladies and gents interfirms competition took place on Sunday July 24th. The Gods must have been looking down on us as we were blessed with fine weather. The ladies final kicked off at 6pm between the National and Laghey Waste. It was a gripping match from start to finish with the National winning by the narrowest of margins, 2-1.
The chairman, Eamon Brogan, welcomed everyone and congratulated the four finalists. He also thanked the other 34 teams for participating. Eamon then invited Mary McGlanaghey to present the Caroline McGlanaghey Memorial Shield to the winning captain, Niamh Britton. Niamh declared it a great honour to play for this shield saying that some of the girls had played with Caroline, on the same team, or in opposition. She thanked everyone for their help and support throughout the competition.
The men’s final then took place with the National beating the Old Castle Bar 2-1. After the match Eamon Brogan called Del Sweeney from the National, sponsor of the Brendan Cassidy Memorial Cup, to make the presentation to the winning captain Aidan Cassidy. It was an emotional Aidan who lifted the cup. Having paid tribute to his late father Brendan, Aidan went on to say that the National have been trying to win this cup for the past four years. He congratulated Drumbar on a very successful competition and said it was an honour to be associated with it, being a club member.
In conclusion Eamon thanked our sponsors, The National, LF Tool Hire, and also Dom’s Pier 1 for kindly sponsoring the new memorial ladies shield and trophies. It goes without saying that a competition of this size needs a hardworking dedicated committee. He thanked the referees, linesmen, gate-collectors, tea-ladies, the children who gathered up the rubbish, anyone who helped in any way and the public for coming out to support the teams. A special mention to Brian, Donna and Sean of Ocean FM who gave us great publicity and coverage at every opportunity, also to Conor in the Democrat and Jason in Donegal Times.
The Shield Final between Eske Gutters and The Lazy Bush Bar will take place on Wednesday 27th July, kick-off at 7.30pm. Results: Ladies final, National 2 (Mairead Gallagher, Tracey Floyd) - Laghey Waste 1 (Sharon McIntyre pen). Mens Final, National 2 (Paul ‘Ringo’ Cannon 2), Castle Bar 1 (Kevin Haughey).
Gabriel O’Donnell

Four Masters Notes

Senior Championship (First Round - Second Leg)
St. Michael’s 0.10 - Four Masters 2.10

In the second leg tie played in blustery Dunfanaghy on Saturday evening last, Four Masters overcame the home side comfortably to advance to the quarter-final of the Raidio na Gaeltachta Senior Championship where they will face the winners of the Glenfin/Buncrana first round playoff.
It was a tough physical battle with the St. Michael’s lads intent on upsetting some of the Masters key players, particularly Michael Doherty and Barry Dunnion. However, it was Doherty who would have the last laugh as he gave his man a torrid time scoring 1.06 on the night ably assisted by three points from play from full-forward Benny Byrne. The only other scores came from the ever-reliable veteran Derek McGinty, who contributed a goal and a point.
We can now look forward to the quarter-final on the weekend of August 20th/21st and hopefully Barry Monaghan and Karl Lacey will return from injury to boost our chances of landing another Senior Championship.
Reserve & Third Team
The Reserve team also advanced to the quarter-final where they will also meet the winners of the Glenfin/Buncrana first round playoff. The third team had a Junior B Championship quarter-final on Sunday last in Castlefin and came away with a 0.10 - 0.10 draw with Naomh Padraig of Lifford. A win in the replay would set them up with a semi-final tussle with Gweedore or Naomh Mhuire.
Sean Dunnion

The Donegal Times, The Diamond, Donegal Town, Ireland

Tel: +353-74-9722860 Fax: +353-74-9722937